TMJ (Temporo-Mandibular-Joint) Self Massage Therapy
- Take a warm shower or hold a warm compress on the masseter muscles of your jaw (see diagram below). This helps to loosen the fibers of the muscle.
- With two fingers on each hand, and always on both sides at the same time, massage the muscles following the length of the fibers from your cheek bone down to the edge of your jawline. *
- If you have trouble finding the muscles, simply clench your teeth to make the muscles more prominent, then release to begin the massage.
- Continue the massage motion for 2-3 minutes using a moderate pressure.
- After massaging, follow with a cold compress to reduce inflammation.
- If directed, take anti-inflammatories as prescribed.
*Never apply pressure to only one side of your jaw.