Patient Instructions: After Surgery/Removals
- Bleeding is to be expected after oral surgery. Bite firmly on gauze for 30-45 minutes. If the bleeding continues, replace with fresh gauze provided and bite for another 30 minutes.
- Do not spit or use straws for at least 24 hours.
- Absolutely no smoking or nicotine for at least 48 hours.
- Avoid exercise or heavy lifting for 24 hours.
- If possible, eat on the opposite side of the mouth for the first 24 hours and get plenty of fluids.
- After 24 hours, begin your prescription mouth rinse as directed.
- To avoid swelling apply ice/cold compress over the affected area for 15-20 minutes every hour.
- Mild pain may be experienced after the anesthetic wears off. Take pain medication only as directed.
- In case of extreme pain, uncontrollable bleeding, difficulty swallowing, or other complications, telephone the office immediately.